What do we see, smell and hear in public spaces? And how does it make us feel?
WeSense is a free app for your iPhone or iPad It's part of a research project of the Faculty of Architecture in TU Delft.
We'd love to have you on board!
who should be involved?
- Everybody who lives in Amsterdam.
- Visitors to Amsterdam — your opinion counts too.
how does it work?
- Download WeSense from the App Store, open it, and sign up.
- WeSense will beep you once (or more) a day and ask you to fill out short surveys about your perception of your current surroundings and your wellbeing, who you're with, where you are, and what you're doing (if you're outdoors, you can also upload a photo).
- The data gets sent back — anonymously and securely — to our data store, along with your approximate location from the iPhone’s GPS.
what's in it for you?
- The results are fed back to you so you receive interesting information about how satisfied you are with your surroundings. You’ll gain access to charts including when, where and with whom you're the most satisfied.
- By clicking on MAPS or STATS you can see the combined experiences of all users of the app in real time and compare them with yours.
what's in it for us?
- We're particularly interested in how people perceive their environment with all their senses. The data we receive from WeSense will be used for investigating this in Amsterdam.
- We'll be publishing the results in academic journals and elsewhere — you can read more about the research study in OUR PROJECT PITCH (PDF).